If you want to make an easy dessert without much effort for a party and win the hearts of your guests, crumble bars are a great option for you. These strawberry crumble bars feature a soft crust, a sweet strawberry filling, and a buttery crumble topping.
About This Recipe
Fruit crumble bars are my spring/summer favorite baked treats. They are so versatile and you can use any fruit you want. All you have to do is to prepare a simple dough and fruity filling. Assemble the crumb bar and pop it in the oven to bake. Strawberry crumble bars are the first on my baking list when strawberries are in season.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Quick and easy: This strawberry crumble bars recipe is quick and easy to put together. The crumble topping and crust are made in one bowl, at once.
- Great leftovers: You can store these strawberry crumble bars in an airtight container at room temperature for 2-3 days or in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
- Full of strawberry flavor: These crumble bars are full of strawberry flavor and deliciousness. A great Spring/Summer dessert!
What You Need To Make Strawberry Crumble Bars
- Flour: Plain all-purpose flour works best for these crumble bars.
- Sugar: You can use white granulated sugar or brown sugar instead or a mix of both.
- Strawberries: Crumble bars are a super-easy way to enjoy red summer berries. You can use strawberries or mixed berries.
- Cold butter: The butter makes the crust and topping flaky and crisp.
- Egg: The egg softens the dough and enriches the flavor.
- Salt: Add salt to balance the sweetness.
- Baking powder: The baking powder helps the crust and topping to puff and brown.
- Cornstarch: Cornstarch is a great thickener for fruity crumble bar fillings.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Cube cold butter into small chunks.
- In a food processor, combine flour, salt, baking powder, and 1/2 cup sugar.
- Add egg and cold butter cubes. Process until fine crumbs form.
- Cut strawberries into quarters.
- In another large bowl combine strawberries with the remaining sugar and cornstarch. Mix to coat with sugar and cornstarch.
- Grease an 8×8″ baking dish with butter or line it with parchment paper.
- Pour in 2/3rds of the crumb mixture and press into the bottom using a spoon or your hands.
- Pour the strawberry filling over the crust, then sprinkle the strawberries with the crumb topping.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes until the topping is golden brown.
Can I Use Frozen Strawberries?
Yes you can use frozen strawberries for the filling. Of course, the crumble Bar filling is more likely to be runny with frozen strawberries. You can add more cornstarch to the crumble bar filling if you find that it is not thick enough.
How Do I Know When My Crumble Is Done?
The crumble bars are done when the topping is golden brown and the strawberry filling is bubbling.
How to Store the Leftovers?
To store these strawberry crumble bars, once cooled transfer them to an airtight container or cover them tightly with plastic wrap. Strawberry crumble bars can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Did you like the strawberry crumble bars recipe? Try my easy strawberry galette recipe as well! Leave your comment below and If you make this recipe, be sure to tag your photos #yummynotes
- 1½ cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup butter, cold
- 1 lb fresh strawberries
Preheat the oven to 350F. Cube cold butter into small chunks.
In a food processor, combine flour, salt, baking powder, and 1/2 cup sugar.
Add egg and cold butter cubes. Process until fine crumbs form.
Cut strawberries into quarters.
In another large bowl combine strawberries with the remaining sugar and cornstarch. Mix to coat with sugar and cornstarch.
Grease an 8x8" baking dish with butter or line it with parchment paper.
Pour in 2/3rds of the crumb mixture and press into the bottom using a spoon or your hands.
Pour the strawberry filling over the crust, then sprinkle the strawberries with the crumb topping.
Bake for 35-45 minutes until the topping is golden brown.