Can’t get through your day without a morning coffee? Ever tried iced caramel macchiato instead of regular everyday coffee? This refreshing sweet drink has the ability to accompany you in meetings or on the way to work and make you feel good.
What is Macchiato?
Let’s talk about where the name of this coffee comes from. Macchiato is an Italian word meaning “spotted” or “stained”. In Italy, a caffè macchiato or an espresso macchiato is a coffee with a splash of milk. The word macchiato was first used by Italian baristas to differentiate between regular espresso and espresso with a bit of milk added.
Caffè Macchiato Variations
You can find a variety of Macchiato recipes in cafes. These recipes are differentiated by the flavor and the amount of milk that was added to the espresso.
- Macchiato Caldo: This is espresso with the addition of a little warm milk. It may be the favorite of those who love warm coffee drinks.
- Macchiato Freddo: A single shot of espresso with the addition of a little cold milk.
- Latte Macchiato: Prepared with espresso and a larger amount of milk.
- Caramel Macchiato: Caramel sauce is added to the espresso to soften its taste. A sweet and caramel-flavored macchiato.
About This Recipe
Iced caramel macchiato is an iced version of the caramel macchiato. A refreshing and sweet cold coffee drink that you can sip all summer long. What makes the caramel macchiato more attractive is the separate layers of milk, espresso, and caramel drizzle that slowly sink to the bottom of the glass. With this recipe, you can have your very own iced caramel macchiato at home without spending too much. All you need are milk, espresso, vanilla syrup, caramel sauce, and lots of ice.
What You Need To Make Iced Caramel Macchiato
- Caramel sauce: Caramel is one of the most commonly used ingredients to flavor various coffee-based drinks like lattes, cappuccinos, and macchiatos. You can use store-bought caramel sauce or make it at home from scratch.
- Vanilla syrup: Vanilla syrup gives a touch of sweetness and warmth to the drink.
- Milk: I use full-fat milk to achieve a creamy caramel macchiato but you can use any kind of milk you like.
- Espresso: The most important part of preparing the caramel macchiato is preparing the espresso. Both the Moka Pot and Espresso Machine can make the espresso shots you need in this recipe.
- Add-ons: The base of caramel macchiato is these 4 ingredients: milk, caramel sauce, espresso, and vanilla syrup. if you want to spice things up, you can sprinkle a little cinnamon on top or serve your iced caramel macchiato with whipped cream and drizzle extra caramel sauce or even chocolate sauce.
How to Make Iced Caramel Macchiato?
- Pour 1 tablespoon of vanilla simple syrup into a tall serving glass. Add milk, ice, and espresso on top.
- Finish with a generous drizzle of caramel sauce. You can adjust the sweetness of the drink to your liking. Serve immediately.
How Many Shots of Coffee Are in an Iced Macchiato?
For this recipe, you will need 2 shots of freshly brewed espresso.
How to Make Vegan Iced Caramel Macchiato?
To make iced caramel macchiato you can choose any dairy or alternative milk you like. You can also easily find dairy-free caramel sauce in grocery stores.
Did you like the iced caramel macchiato recipe? Try my white chocolate mocha recipe as well! Leave your comment below and If you make this recipe, be sure to tag your photos #yummynotes 😍
Looking For More Coffee Drinks?
- 1 tablespoon vanilla syrup
- 3/4 cup cold milk
- 2 shots espresso
- 2 tablespoon caramel sauce
Pour 1 tablespoon vanilla simple syrup into a tall serving glass. Add milk, ice, and espresso on top.
Finish with a generous drizzle of caramel sauce. You can adjust the sweetness of the drink to your liking. Serve immediately.