This ultra-creamy mushroom soup comes together so easily and quickly with a few pantry staples you likely have on hand. This soup is loaded with earthy mushroom flavors topped with cream, sauteed mushroom slices, and fresh parsley.
About This Recipe
If you need a truly simple recipe that the whole family will absolutely love, then this recipe is for you! Just walk into the kitchen and whip up a quick and luscious mushroom soup. I love to serve a bowl of warm mushroom soup with crusty bread slices or croutons.
Ingredients for Mushroom Soup
- Mushrooms: Both cremini and button mushrooms are acceptable for this recipe. I prefer to use button mushrooms because of the beautiful cream color that they give to the soup.
- Chicken broth: Chicken or beef broth both work great for this recipe but I prefer chicken. If you do not like any of them, you can also use vegetable stock.
- Heavy cream: Heavy cream gives a silky mouthfeel and richness to the soup. You can substitute heavy cream for half and half or evaporated milk.
- Onion: A little bit of diced yellow or white onion is a must for any soup.
- Garlic: Garlic adds a rich, deep flavor to the soup.
- Butter: Adding butter gives a nice aroma to the soup.
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh parsley
- Rinse mushrooms and finely slice.
- Heat butter and oil in a large pot over medium heat until butter is melted.
- Sauté onion for about 3 to 4 minutes until soft and translucent.
- Add minced garlic cloves and stir frequently for about one minute.
- Add mushrooms and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add flour and cook for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Turn the heat up to high and add chicken broth, salt, and pepper then bring to a boil.
- Then lower the heat to medium and cook for 15 minutes until thickened.
- Lower the heat and stir in cream and mix well. Simmer for 1 minute and remove from the heat.
- Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with fresh parsley, cream, and croutons.
Tips for Making the Best Mushroom Soup
- In order to avoid lumps forming in soup, the flour should be gradually added and stirred.
- If the flour has lots of lumps in it, sift it before using it.
- When the soup is hot (not boiling), slowly add the cream and stir until fully incorporated.
- The use of the cream is completely optional and you can substitute it with half and a half or evaporated milk.
- Keep in mind, that if you use chicken broth, you should add less salt to the soup because the chicken broth is high in sodium.
- You can use vegetables such as carrots to enrich the soup’s taste.
What Should You Serve With Your Mushroom Soup
- I love this soup served with nice crusty bread.
- A Bacon Sandwich also goes well with a bowl of creamy mushroom soup.
- Cheesy Garlic Bread is a great option to serve with mushroom soup.
Did you like the creamy mushroom soup recipe? Try the homemade lentil soup recipe as well! Leave your comment below and If you make this recipe, be sure to tag your photos #yummynotes
- 1 lb mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 a large onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 3 cups of low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
Rinse mushrooms and finely slice.
Heat butter and oil in a large pot over medium heat until butter is melted.
Sauté onion for about 3 to 4 minutes until soft and translucent.
Add minced garlic cloves and stir frequently for about one minute.
Add mushrooms and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add flour and cook for 2 - 3 minutes.
Turn the heat up to high and add chicken broth, salt, and pepper then bring to a boil.
Then lower the heat to medium and cook for 15 minutes until thickened.
Lower the heat and stir in cream and mix well. Simmer for 1 minute and remove from the heat.
Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with fresh parsley, cream, and croutons.
I cook it, the recipe is amazing.
thank you yummynotes team.