Who can say no to a delicious blueberry lemon mug cake? Blueberry and lemon is a classic pairing that works perfectly in sweet baked goods. You only need a few ingredients and a couple of minutes to make this sweet dessert in a mug.
About This Recipe
A blueberry lemon mug cake (made without eggs) is a delightful single-serving dessert that combines the bright flavor of lemon with the juicy burst of blueberries. All you need is a little flour, milk, baking powder, salt, sugar, lemon juice, and a handful of blueberries. Just pop it in the microwave and get a gooey, soft, and sweet mug cake.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Easy to make: Unlike traditional cakes that require a long baking time, mug cakes are cooked in the microwave for a few minutes.
- Simple ingredients: This lemon blueberry mug cake typically requires common baking ingredients like flour, sugar, baking powder, butter or oil, milk, lemon zest, and fresh blueberries.
- Single serving: Mug cakes are individual-sized desserts, allowing you to enjoy a taste of indulgence without spending the time to bake an entire cake.
What do You need to Make Blueberry Lemon Mug Cake?
- Flour: I used all-purpose flour for this recipe.
- Baking powder: Baking powder ensures that your mug cake rises and fluffs.
- Milk: You can use dairy or non-dairy milk.
- Vegetable oil: The oil in the recipe helps to moisturize the texture of the cake.
- Sugar: Adds sweetness and moisture to the mug cake.
- Blueberries: Add a handful of fresh and juicy blueberries to the cake batter.
- Topping: A dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of ice cream for topping.
- Lemon juice + Lemon zest: Fresh lemon zest and juice add flavor to the mug cake.
- Salt: Add a pinch of salt to balance the sweetness.
How to Make Blueberry Lemon Mug Cake
- Add flour, baking powder, and a pinch of salt into the mug and mix well.
- Add milk, oil, vanilla extract, lemon juice, lemon zest, and sugar, and mix until just combined.
- Finally, add blueberries and mix again.
- Microwave for 60 to 90 seconds. Remove from the microwave and top with a scoop of ice cream.
How to Make Blueberry Lemon Mug Cake Like a Pro?
- Make sure that your mug is labeled as microwave-safe.
- You may not get the best results the first few times you make mug cakes because the power of the microwave ovens is different and each microwave cooks differently this causes the baking time of the cake to be variable.
- Before starting, gather the ingredients and place them on the countertop. Measure the required ingredients accurately.
- How do you keep a mug cake from overflowing? Don’t fill the mug more than half full otherwise, you will end up with a huge mess all over your microwave.
- Avoid overmixing! Overmixing the batter will build up the gluten in the flour resulting in a tough, dense textured mug cake.
- The batter doubles in size when baked, so be sure to choose a large mug that can hold this amount. Mugs with straight sides are more suitable. If you are using a wide and short mug you should reduce the cooking time to avoid dry texture.
Can I Bake a Mug Cake in the Oven?
Yes, you can bake a mug cake in the oven. Simply prepare the batter and transfer it to an oven-safe mug or ramekin. Preheat oven to 350F and bake for 15-20 minutes.
Why Are Mug Cakes Dry?
Do not overbake your mug cakes. Mug cakes have a short baking time and dry very quickly. To prevent the cake texture from drying out, stop microwaving as soon as you notice that the surface of the cake is no longer wet and undercooked.
Did you like the blueberry lemon mug cake recipe? Try my Nutella mug cake recipe as well! Leave your comment below and If you make this recipe, be sure to tag your photos #yummynotes
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 10 blueberries
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Zest of ½ lemon
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
Add flour, baking powder, and a pinch of salt into the mug and mix well.
Add milk, oil, vanilla extract, lemon juice, lemon zest, and sugar, and mix until just combined. Finally, add blueberries and mix again.
Microwave for 60 to 90 seconds. Remove from the microwave and top with a scoop of ice cream.