There are many things to do to celebrate Christmas, decorate the Christmas tree, and choose and buy gifts for friends. But perhaps the simplest and most exciting part is preparing Christmas dishes and sweets. M&M cookies, shortbread cookies, thumbprint cookies, or gingerbread cookies. It is impossible to imagine the festive season without cookies. Spicy gingerbread cookies are one of the simplest types of Christmas cookies, and there are many fun ideas for decorating them.
About This Recipe
Baking Christmas cookies is a good reason for family members, especially your beloved ones, to get together to decorate their own cookies with their own creativity, and to have a fun partnership with other family members. Gingerbread cookie is one of those that I always associate with Christmas. I love these spice cookies and if I was going to bake only one type of cookie for Christmas, my choice would definitely be gingerbread.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Perfect for gifting: Looking for new gift ideas for your friends and loved ones? Do you agree with the homemade Christmas gingerbread cookies that you made yourself? A very creative and unique idea!
- Easy to make: These cookies are easy to make and full of flavor!
What Do You Need to Make Spicy Gingerbread Cookies?
- Flour: Use all-purpose flour for this cookie. fluff up the flour in the container. Then spoon the flour into the measuring cup. Use the back of a knife, to sweep away the excess flour.
- Brown sugar: Brown sugar makes the texture of gingerbread cookies denser and moister.
- Dark molasses: Dark molasses is mostly used in baking gingerbread.
- Egg: You do not need a lot of eggs to bake this cookie. Depending on the number of ingredients I used, I only added one egg.
- Butter: The butter should be softened at room temperature.
- Spices: I usually use a combination of cinnamon, allspice, cloves, and ginger for this cookie.
- Salt: Add salt to balance the sweetness.
- Baking soda: Baking soda acts as a leavening agent in cookie dough.
How to Make Gingerbread Cookies?
Begin with creaming butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy. Add in egg and molasses and mix well to combine. Add in cinnamon, cloves, allspice, ginger, baking soda, and salt, and mix for another 3 minutes. Lastly, add in flour and mix until well incorporated. You should end up with a soft (not dry or crumbly) dough. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap. Place in refrigerator and chill for at least 2 hours. Roll out cookie dough on a floured surface (about 1/4-inch thick). Cut out, ginger men shapes and place them on the baking tray. Bake at 350F until lightly golden-brown for about 12 minutes. When cooled decorate with royal icing.
How Should I Store the Gingerbread Cookies?
Layer gingerbread cookies between sheets of waxed or parchment paper in an airtight container at room temperature for up to two weeks or freeze for up to 3 months.
Can You Make Gingerbread Dough in Advance?
Yes. Absolutely! Tightly wrap the cookie dough in clingfilm and refrigerate it for up to 3 days or freeze it for a month.
Did you like the spicy gingerbread cookies recipe? Try my M&M Christmas cookies in a jar recipe as well! Leave your comment below and If you make this recipe, be sure to tag your photos #yummynotes
- 1/4 cup light or dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons butter, unsalted, room temperature
- 1/3 cup unsulphured molasses
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
Begin with creaming butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy. Add in egg and molasses and mix well to combine.
Add in cinnamon, cloves, allspice, ginger, baking soda, and salt and mix for another 3 minutes.
Lastly, add in flour and mix until well incorporated. You should end up with a soft (not dry or crumbly) dough.
Wrap the dough in plastic wrap. Place in refrigerator and chill for at least 2 hours. Roll out cookie dough on a floured surface (about 1/4-inch thick).
Cut out, ginger men shapes and place them on the baking tray. Bake at 350F until lightly golden-brown for about 12 minutes. When cooled decorate with icing.