Khoresht Aloo Esfenaj (Persian Spinach Stew) is one of the most delicious traditional Persian dishes that is cooked with beef, lamb, or chicken. The combination of spinach, golden plums, saffron, and meat makes this stew taste unique. Khoresh Aloo Esfenaj is rich in vitamins and packed with good-for-you nutrients. It is a warm and comforting stew that is commonly enjoyed during the colder months and when fresh spinach is in season.
About This Recipe
Spinach is one of the most nutritious vegetables that have a very strong and delicious taste. In Iranian cuisine, various dishes are prepared with spinach, one of which is spinach and plum stew. Both beef and chicken can be used to make an irresistibly delicious plum stew, so the choice ultimately depends on your personal preference. If you prefer a plant-based stew, simply omit the meat and use your choice of plant-based protein substitute. Golden Prunes (Aloo Bukhara) is the star ingredient in this dish and add a sweet and tangy flavor to the stew.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Uses pantry ingredients: This spinach plum stew is one of our favorite family meals! An easy, budget-friendly stew made with basic pantry ingredients and spinach. Packed with nutrients with a straightforward recipe.
- Easy to make: You don’t need to have a lot of experience in Persian cuisine to cook a delicious spinach stew. By following the recipe step by step, you will definitely get amazing results and surprise everyone at the dinner table.
- Loaded with spinach: Spinach and plum stew is irresistibly delicious and loaded with spinach and golden plums. It’s perfect when served with Persian saffron rice and a bowl of Shirazi salad.
Khoresht Aloo Esfenaj Ingredients
- Golden Plum (Aloo Bukhara): Golden prunes, also known as Aloo Bukhara, fall into the category of dried fruits. Plums are used in a variety of Persian foods. Plums are also consumed in various forms such as Lavashak(fruit leather) and jam.
- Spinach: Spinach is one of the vegetables that you can easily use in preparing various types of Persian recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or snacks. This leafy green plant is rich in vitamins K and A; These vitamins are essential for maintaining healthy eyesight and bones.
- Beef Or Lamb: The most common meat used in cooking spinach and plum stew is beef or lamb. Of course, chicken meat can also be used in this food. If you prefer plant-based foods, you can cook this stew without meat.
How to Make Spinach and Golden Plum Stew (Step By Step)
- First, finely chop the onion and saute it in a little oil until soft.
- Cut beef into small cubes. Add the meat and saute until golden brown. Then add spices, turmeric, and a little pepper to the meat.
- Heat oil in a pan. Start adding the spinach. The spinach will wilt down quickly as you saute it.
- When one hour is left until the meat is fully cooked, add the spinach to the pot so that the stew settles slowly.
- Soak the plums in cold water for half an hour, saute in oil, and add to the stew for the last half hour of cooking.
- Lower the heat to allow the stew to set. Finally, add salt and serve the stew with saffron rice.
- Soak the plums in water for half an hour before adding them to the stew.
- If you want, add some lemon juice to the stew to make it taste sour.
- You can also saute a spoonful of tomato paste with onion.
- In the northern regions of Iran, especially Gilan, pomegranate paste and ground walnuts are used in Khoresht Aloo Esfenaj Recipe.
- To add a unique flavor to spinach and plum stew, you can brew a tablespoon of saffron and add it at the end of the cooking process.
- Vegan Aloo Esfenaj Stew: To cook vegan Aloo Esfenaj stew, do the same steps, except for frying and adding meat or chicken. Instead of meat, saute some mushrooms with onion and oil and add to the stew or use your choice of plant-based protein substitute.
- Spiced Spinach Stew: To add warmth and depth to the stew, you can use spices such as turmeric, cinnamon, cumin, or cardamom.
- Sour Spinach Stew: To add tanginess and brightness to the stew, you can use Ab Ghooreh (unripe grape juice), Ab Limoo (lemon juice), pomegranate molasses, or dried limes. The tartness balances the earthiness of the spinach and adds complexity to the dish.
What to Serve With This Stew?
Be sure to serve Iranian stews with saffron rice. Also, you can serve this delicious dish with Salad Shirazi, Sabzi Khordan, or yogurt.
Did you like Khoresht Aloo Esfenaj recipe? Leave your comment below and If you make this recipe, be sure to tag your photos #yummynotes 😍
Looking for More Persian Recipes?
- 300gr of lamb or beef, cubed
- 1 large onion
- 150gr Aloo Bukhara
- 1kg chopped spinach
- Salt, pepper, and turmeric
First, finely chop the onion and fry it in a little oil until soft.
Cut beef into small cubes. Add the meat and fry until golden brown. Then add spices, turmeric, and a little pepper to the meat.
Heat up oil in a pan over medium heat. Start adding the spinach. The spinach will wilt down quickly as you saute it.
With one hour left until the meat is fully cooked, add the spinach to the pot so that the stew settles slowly.
Soak the plums in cold water for half an hour, fry in oil, and add to the stew for the last half hour of cooking.
Lower the heat to allow the stew to set. Finally, add salt and serve the stew with saffron rice.