Coffee Jelly or “Kohii Zerii” is a tasty bittersweet dessert that originated in Japan. It is a refreshing and light dessert perfect for warm summer days or as a sweet treat after a meal. It is a gelatin-based dessert made with coffee, sugar, cream, and sweetened condensed milk. It’s easy to whip up the coffee jelly recipe with instant coffee or freshly brewed coffee.
What Is Coffee Jelly?
Coffee jelly is a popular dessert that originated in Japan but has gained huge popularity worldwide. Typically, this dessert is made by combining coffee with gelatin or agar-agar to create a firm and jelly-like consistency. Then, the chilled and firm jelly is cut into small cubes and served with sweetened cream. You can enjoy it as a refreshing summer treat or any time of year!
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Refreshing: A refreshing and chilled summertime dessert! It combines the rich and bitter taste of coffee with sweet cream to create a perfect balance of flavors. It can be a great alternative to classic coffee beverages.
- Easy to make: This coffee-flavored dessert is relatively easy to make and requires minimal ingredients and effort.
- Customizable: You can adjust the sweetness or intensity of the coffee flavor according to your taste.
What You Need to Make Coffee Jelly
- Unflavored gelatin powder: To make coffee jelly cubes, you need unflavored gelatin powder.
- Coffee: You can use your favorite coffee to make this recipe. Espresso, freshly brewed coffee or even instant coffee will work in this recipe. If you prefer a stronger coffee flavor, you can use espresso.
- Sugar: Use granulated sugar to add the right amount of sweetness to the gelatin and coffee mixture.
- Sweetened condensed milk: Sweetened condensed milk is often used as a sweetener for this dessert. It adds a creamy and sweet touch to the bitter and strong coffee-flavored jelly cubes.
- Heavy cream: Heavy Cream adds richness and creaminess to the dessert.
How To Make Coffee Jelly With Instant Coffee and Crem (Step By Step)
- Place ¼ cup cold water in a bowl. Sprinkle unflavored gelatine powder over the water. Let stand for 5 minutes to soften.
- Mix instant coffee and sugar with boiling water to dissolve. Add softened gelatine to the hot coffee mixture and mix well until dissolved.
- Pour the mixture into a rectangle or square cake pan or dish and pop it into the fridge for about 4 hours or until fully set.
- Carefully cut the jelly into small cubes.
- In a bowl mix all-purpose cream with sweetened condensed milk.
- Divide jelly cubes evenly between serving glasses, and top with the sweetened cream. Serve and enjoy!
- Adjust sweetness levels: This recipe can be made with varying levels of sweetness. If you like it sweet add more sugar to the coffee mixture and serve with sweetened cream.
- Add flavored syrups: The intensity of the coffee flavor can vary depending on personal preference. Use espresso or freshly brewed coffee for a bold and rich coffee-flavored dessert. If you like flavored coffee drinks, you can put a few delicious twists on the classic recipe. You can add caramel or vanilla syrup to the coffee mixture to have a lightly flavored dessert.
- Toppings: You can serve it with various toppings for a fun summer treat. Common toppings include whipped cream, ice cream, chocolate shavings, chocolate sauce, and caramel syrup.
Make Ahead & Storage
You can make this recipe a day ahead to have fully set jelly cubes. When ready to serve, add sweetened cream. Leftover coffee jelly will last in the fridge for up to 1-2 days when stored in an airtight container.
What Is Coffee Jelly Made Of?
This dessert is a coffee-based dessert made from coffee-flavored jelly cubes, served with sweetened cream.
What Do You Eat Coffee Jelly With?
This dessert is typically served with a mix of sweetened condensed milk and cream. You can also try it plain or with whipped cream, a mix of chilled espresso and milk, or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Does Coffee Jelly Have Coffee?
Yes, the classic recipe typically contains coffee. It is made by combining coffee with gelatin to create firm and jiggly coffee-flavored jelly cubes.
Did you like the coffee jelly recipe with instant coffee? Try my Dalgona Coffee recipe as well! Leave your comment below and If you make this recipe, be sure to tag your photos #yummynotes
- 1 sachet (12g) unflavored gelatin powder
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar (adjust according to your preference)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose cream
- 1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- Whipped cream for topping (optional)
Place ¼ cup cold water in a bowl. Sprinkle unflavored gelatine powder over the water. Let stand for 5 minutes to soften.
Mix instant coffee and sugar with boiling water to dissolve. Add softened gelatine to the hot coffee mixture and mix well until dissolved.
Pour the mixture into a rectangle or square cake pan or dish and pop it into the fridge for about 4 hours or until fully set.
Carefully cut the jelly into small cubes.
In a bowl mix all-purpose cream with sweetened condensed milk.
Divide jelly cubes evenly between serving glasses, and top with the sweetened cream. Serve and enjoy!