Shir Berenj is a creamy and luscious Persian pudding prepares with rice and milk. Brighten up your morning with a bowl of warm Persian rice pudding or serve it chilled as a sweet dessert.
What is Shir Berenj?
Rice milk is a type of breakfast or brunch that is prepared from milk and rice and is mostly sweetened with sugar or syrup. Persian rice pudding is is packed with nutrients and bursting with flavor. Milk (source of calcium) and rice (rich in B vitamins) are the two main ingredients of Shir Berenj, also cardamom and rose water add a unique flavor to it. Rice pudding can be served hot or cold.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Easy to make: Shir Berenj is so easy to make. This easy recipe is effortless and so delicious. Serve with your favorite syrup or jam for a heartwarming and perfectly sweet treat.
- Customizable: Persian rice pudding is one of those delicious and nutritious desserts that tastes sweet, and comes in many flavors. The most common ones are classic rice pudding, cinnamon rice pudding chocolate rice pudding and saffron rice pudding.
- Healthy and nutritious: A delicious, healthy and nutritious dessert that children love can make your work easier. Raisins and nuts can be used to make this dessert more nutritious.
What Do You Need to Make Your Own Rice Pudding
- Rice: The best rice for making Shir Berenj is short grain white rice. Short grain rice cooks up soft and sticky and thickens the pudding when cooked.
- Whole milk: Whole milk adds just the right amount of flavor, richness and creaminess to the pudding.
- Heavy cream: Heavy cream gives a smooth texture and rich flavor to the rice pudding.
- Sugar: You can use granulated white sugar or light brown sugar to sweeten Shir Berenj. In the classic Iranian recipe, white sugar is used as a sweetener.
- Rose water: Rose water adds a subtle floral flavor to the pastries and puddings.
- Ground cardamom: Ground cardamom gives a sweet spicy aroma and taste to the rice pudding.
- Ground cinnamon: Cinnamon is a must for Shir Berenj. It gives a pleasantly spicy and sweet flavor to the pudding.
- Salt: Add a little salt to balance the sweetness.
How to Make Shir Berenj
- Rinse rice until the water runs clear. Soak rice with two cups of water for at least two hours. Soaking rice before cooking shortens cooking time as the grains absorb water.
- Place the soaked rice in a pot on a gentle heat and add 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook rice until it falls apart.
- Add in milk and heavy cream and bring to a boil.
- After boiling, add sugar, rose water, cinnamon and cardamom and mix well.
- Lower the heat and cook for about an hour until the pudding has thickened. Ladle warm pudding into cups or small bowls. Top with ground cinnamon, raisin, nuts or jam.
How to Serve Shir Berenj?
You can serve rice pudding hot or cold. Both taste amazing! In Iran Shir Berenj is usually served with grape molasses or rose jam.
Did you like the Shir Berenj recipe? Try my Persian Halva recipe as well! Leave your comment below and If you make this recipe, be sure to tag your photos #yummynotes
Looking for More Persian Recipes?
- 1 cup short grain white rice
- 4 cups whole milk
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup rose water(golab)
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Rinse rice until the water went clear. Soak rice with two cups of water for at least two hours. Soaking rice before cooking shortens cooking time as the grains absorb water.
Place the soaked rice in a pot on a gentle heat and add 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook rice until it falls apart
Add in milk and heavy cream and bring to a boil.
After boiling, add sugar and cardamom and mix well.
Lower the heat and cook for about an hour until the pudding has thickened. Ladle warm pudding into cups or small bowls. Top with ground cinnamon, raisin, nuts or jam.