German cucumber salad with Mayonnaise recipe with only 6 ingredients that will be ready in under 10 minutes. This crisp and creamy cucumber salad is simple and makes a great appetizer or side dish!
About This Recipe
Creamy German cucumber salad loaded with sliced red onion, and fresh dill, drizzled with a light dressing. That’s perfect for a warm summer’s day. This cucumber salad recipe is incredibly easy to make with minimal ingredients.
Why You Will Love German Cucumber Salad With Mayonnaise
- Refreshing and light: German cucumber dill salad is known for its surprisingly refreshing flavor and crisp texture, which makes this salad a great addition to any dinner table. Adding mayonnaise gives a creamy and smooth texture to the salad.
- Easy to make: Cucumber salad is incredibly easy to make. It is usually made by slicing cucumbers, adding other ingredients such as red onions, and dill, with a light dressing. It requires minimal cooking or preparation time.
- Customizable: You can customize this recipe by adding different ingredients and dressings to suit your taste preferences.
What Do You Need to Make German Cucumber Salad
- Cucumbers: Make sure you use seedless cucumber (English cucumber).
- Red onion: The red onion adds crunch and flavor to this salad.
- Mayonnaise: Mayonnaise adds creaminess and a tangy finish to the salad.
- Dill: Fresh dill adds a delicate freshness and aroma.
- Sour cream: Sour cream adds richness and tanginess to salad dressings. It helps to create a creamy and smooth texture, balancing out the flavors of other ingredients.
- White vinegar: White vinegar has a bright flavor that can complement the fresh flavors of this salad.
How to Make Cucumber Salad With Mayonnaise and Sour Cream
- Peel the cucumbers and slice them thinly. If you prefer to keep the skin, you can wash them thoroughly. Lightly sprinkle salt over the sliced cucumbers and let them sit for about 15 minutes. Pat the cucumbers dry with a paper towel and wipe them to remove excess salt.
- Slice the onion thinly. Combine sliced cucumbers and onion in a large mixing bowl.
- In a bowl, mix together the white vinegar, sour cream, mayonnaise, dill, a pinch of salt, and black pepper. Add salad dressing to the bowl and toss to coat cucumbers and onions in the dressing.
- Transfer to refrigerator and let it sit for 15 minutes to allow the flavors to blend.
- Peel the cucumbers and slice them thinly. Cucumbers can be used either with skin, half-peeled, or even completely peeled. If you prefer to keep the skin, you can wash them thoroughly.
- When selecting cucumbers, opt for those that are firm and without any soft spots. This indicates that they are fresh, crisp, and less likely to be watery.
- Cucumbers tend to become watery over time, so serve the salad immediately or in a few hours.
- Radish cucumber salad: Radish cucumber salad is a refreshing dish that combines the crisp texture and bright flavor of radishes with the cool and mild taste of cucumbers.
- Spicy Cucumber Salad: Spice it up by adding a dash of red chili flakes.
This creamy German cucumber salad with mayonnaise can be served as a side dish with a variety of main courses.
- Serve cucumber salad alongside grilled chicken or steak.
- It pairs well with Mediterranean dishes like falafel, gyros, kebabs, and hummus.
- Serve it alongside hot dogs, burgers, ribs, or grilled vegetables.
What Type of Cucumber Should You Use?
Feel free to use whatever kind of cucumbers you’d like but seedless cucumbers work best.
Should I Use Fresh or Dry Dill?
Both fresh and dried dill can work in cucumber salad, but I recommend using fresh dill.
How to Store Cucumber Salad?
Transfer the cucumber salad to an airtight container and store it in the fridge for up to 2 days.
Did you like the German cucumber salad with mayonnaise? Try my tuna salad sandwich recipe as well! Leave your comment below and If you make this recipe, be sure to tag your photos #yummynotes
- 3 English cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or more to taste
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon Black pepper
Peel the cucumbers and slice them thinly. If you prefer to keep the skin, you can wash them thoroughly. Lightly sprinkle salt over the sliced cucumbers and let them sit for about 15 minutes. Pat the cucumbers dry with a paper towel and wipe them to remove excess salt.
Slice the onion thinly. Combine sliced cucumbers and onion in a large mixing bowl.
In a bowl, mix together the white vinegar, sour cream, mayonnaise, dill, a pinch of salt, and black pepper. Add salad dressing to the bowl and toss to coat cucumbers and onions in the dressing.
Transfer to refrigerator and let it sit for 15 minutes to allow the flavors to blend.