The Cuban beef sandwich is a delicious sandwich that has some differences from its original version. Traditional Cuban sandwiches (Sándwich Cubano) are made with pork and ham. I decided to change the recipe of this sandwich a bit and make it with shredded beef and beef salami and, I must say the result was great. If you are interested to change the classic recipes and trying new sandwiches, take a look at the recipe for the Cuban beef sandwich. This simple recipe gives you a good reason to head into the kitchen and make your favorite lunch.
About This Recipe
Cuban beef sandwich is one of the easy foods that most people like. Shredded beef is also very easy to prepare and gives a great taste to the sandwich. Now imagine adding a layer of Swiss cheese, mustard, and, slices of pickles to this sandwich. All these ingredients are placed in a sliced loaf of Cuban bread and grilled in a pan or sandwich maker with a little butter. Your delicious sandwich will come together in minutes with very little fuss. Finally, you will have a crispy and multi-layered Cuban beef sandwich.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Uses pantry ingredients: This recipe is incredibly easy to make and you can find all the ingredients already in your kitchen.
- Easily adaptable: This recipe is easily adaptable and can use your favorite cheese or your other favorite additives.
- Easy to make: Cuban beef sandwich is guaranteed to satisfy your sandwich craving! You need just a few simple ingredients to make this easy and delicious meal.
What do You Need To Make a Cuban Beef Sandwich?
- Cooked and shredded beef: All you have to do is cook the beef well until tender. Then shred it.
- Swiss cheese: Cheese is usually on the list of ingredients for all sandwiches. Swiss cheese is used in this sandwich. Swiss cheese has a unique mild, buttery, and nutty flavor and is made from cow’s milk.
- Beef salami: The traditional recipe for this sandwich uses ham, but I decided to use beef salami instead.
- Mustard and mayonnaise: We come to the interesting part of the sandwich, which is its sauce. I used a combination of mustard and mayonnaise for this sandwich. You can only use mustard.
- ِDill pickles: We also need dill pickles to complete the sandwich layers. A few thin slices of dill pickles!
- Cuban sandwich loaves: However, if you don’t have Cuban bread, French or Italian bread can be substituted.
- After the beef is cooked, shred it. In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise and mustard.
- Trim off both ends of Cuban loaves then half them. Then cut lengthwise.
- Apply the mustard and mayonnaise on both sides.
- Put a layer of cheese and beef salami slices on it.
- Add a layer of shredded beef and as the last layer add the pickled slices.
- Press the second half of the bread on the layers of cheese, salami, and beef.
- Pour a little oil on the bottom of a frying pan and grill both sides of the sandwich. Turn them until both sides are golden and then transfer them to a serving plate. If you have a sandwich maker, you can use it. Serve the sandwich with your favorite sauces and French fries, the classic side dish to serve with sandwiches.
How to Make Shredded Beef?
The hardest part of preparing this sandwich is probably cooking the beef. To do this, you need to cut the beef into large cubes. Season with your favorite spices and salt. In a large pot, add 1 large chopped onion and 1 clove of garlic. Add the beef and let it cook slowly with a few cups of water until it is completely soft and you can easily shred it.
What Condiments Go on a Cuban Beef Sandwich?
I like mayonnaise, mustard, or horseradish Sauce as a condiment for my Cuban beef sandwich.
Best Side Dishes for Cuban Beef Sandwiches
Serve the sandwich with your favorite sauces and French fries, the classic side dish to serve with beef sandwiches. Also, a bowl of tossed salad, pickles, or roasted veggies is a good option.
Did you like the Cuban beef sandwich recipe? Try my tuna salad sandwich recipe as well! Leave your comment below and If you make this recipe, be sure to tag your photos #yummynotes
Looking For More Sandwich Recipes?
- 2 Cuban sandwich loaves
- 300 g beef, cut into large cubes
- 1 white onion
- 2 beef salami slices
- 1 garlic clove
- 8 slices of Swiss Cheese
- Vegetable oil
- 4 large dill pickles
- 2 tablespoons of yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise
- Salt and pepper
Cut the beef into large cubes. Season with your favorite spices and salt.
In a large pot, add oil. Then add chopped onion and saute for 3 - 4 minutes. Then add grated garlic. Saute for another minute.
Add beef and brown well on all sides. Then add 3 cups of water and bring to boil. Then lower the heat and cover. Allow the beef to cook slowly and soften well.
After the beef is cooked, shred it. In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise and mustard.
Trim off both ends of Cuban loaves then half them. Then cut lengthwise. If you don't have Cuban bread, French or Italian bread can be substituted.
Apply the mustard and mayonnaise on both sides.
Put a layer of cheese and beef salami slices on it.
Add a layer of shredded beef and as the last layer add the pickled slices.
Press the second half of the bread on the layers of cheese, salami, and beef.
Pour a little oil on the bottom of a frying pan and grill both sides of the sandwich. If you have a sandwich maker, you can use it. Serve the sandwich with your favorite sauces and potato chips.