Apple pie French toast is a breakfast dish made by dipping slices of bread in an egg and milk mixture. It is served with diced and caramelized apples as a topping. The resulting dish is, spicy, warm, and sweet, with the added crunch and flavor of the apples.
About This Recipe
Apple pie French toast is a spicy and sweet treat for an extra special breakfast or brunch. Alternating layers of bread are dipped in a custard made from eggs, milk, ground cinnamon, and vanilla extract, then cooked to perfection on a skillet. This easy French toast is warm, spicy, and flavorful, perfect for a weekend breakfast. Apple French toast can be served with maple syrup, whipped cream, a scoop of ice cream, or any other toppings that you prefer!
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Easy to make: Apple pie French toast recipe is so easy to make and can be made in just a few minutes using basic ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen.
- Customizable: This recipe is incredibly versatile and can be adapted to suit your preferences. You can change the type of bread, spices, and toppings.
- Delicious and flavorful: Apple pie French toast is warm, sweet, spicy, and custardy, with the added sweetness and flavor of the caramelized apples.
What You Need to Make Apple Pie French Toast
- Apples: If you like the taste of caramelized apples to be completely sweet, use red apples, which have a sweet taste, but if you like the taste of the French toast topping to be tart-sweet, you can use Granny Smith apples, which have a sour taste.
- Bread: What kind of bread should be used for French toast? I mostly use baguettes, challah, and brioche.
- Brown sugar: Use brown sugar to sweeten the caramelized apples.
- Cinnamon: Gives a sweet and spicy taste to French toast and caramelized apples.
- Milk: Generally, any type of milk will work, but whole milk is the best choice as it creates a richer custard. You can also use a combination of milk and half-and-half to have a richer and creamier custard.
- Eggs: Eggs add fat and moisture to the French toast.
- Vanilla extract: Vanilla adds sweetness and flavor.
- Granulated sugar: Gives a hint of sweetness.
- Butter: Butter gives a deep, caramel richness to the caramelized apples.
- Nutmeg and allspice: Use a blend of cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice to add warmth and spice.
How to Make Apple Pie French Toast
- Place diced apples in a mixing bowl. Add brown sugar and cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice. Toss apples in the mixture until well coated.
- In a small pot cook apples with medium heat and often stirring until golden and soft.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons of butter and cook apples until the sauce is thickened and then remove from heat.
- Crack the eggs in a wide shallow dish and whisk well until smooth. Add milk, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and granulated sugar, and mix!
- Dip a slice of bread in the egg-milk mixture making sure all sides are covered.
- Cook bread slices in a lightly greased nonstick pan until browned on both sides.
- Top with caramelized apples and maple syrup.
What Should I Do to Make French Toast Crispy?
Use bread that is one day past its production date. Fresh bread is not suitable for making French toast because it crumbles. French toast ends up soggy when the bread soaks up too much of the egg and milk mixture. Soak the bread in the mixture for a couple of seconds per side.
How Do You Store French Toast?
French toast can be stored in the refrigerator for up to two days. Let the French toast cool completely, then place it in an airtight container or wrap it tightly in plastic wrap.
How to Reheat Apple Pie French Toast?
You can reheat French toast in the oven. It will result in a crispier and evenly heated texture.
Did you like the apple pie French toast recipe? Try my Biscoff French toast recipe as well! Leave your comment below and If you make this recipe, be sure to tag your photos #yummynotes
- For The French Toast:
- 6-8 slices bread
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- For The Caramelized Apples:
- 2 granny smith apples, cored and diced
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
Place diced apples in a mixing bowl. Add brown sugar and cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice. Toss apples in the mixture until well coated.
In a small pot cook apples with medium heat and often stirring until golden and soft.
Stir in 2 tablespoons of butter and cook apples until the sauce is thickened and then remove from heat.
Crack the eggs in a wide shallow dish and whisk well until smooth. Add milk, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and granulated sugar, and mix!
Dip a slice of bread in the egg-milk mixture making sure all sides are covered.
Cook bread slices in a lightly greased nonstick pan until browned on both sides.
Top with caramelized apples and maple syrup.