This pumpkin banana bread with sour cream recipe combines ripe and sweet bananas, pumpkin puree, and sour cream to create a rich and moist banana bread. It’s loaded with pumpkin puree and warming spices, making it perfect for the autumn season.
About This Recipe
A classic autumn treat, this pumpkin banana bread is made with a perfect balance of pumpkin puree, mashed bananas, and fall spices. A delicious fall breakfast packed with both pumpkin and banana flavor. The aroma of cinnamon and pumpkin spice fills up the kitchen as it bakes and makes it difficult to wait for the baking to be done.
Why You Will Love Pumpkin Banana Bread With Sour Cream
- Packed with flavor: A slice of freshly baked pumpkin banana bread with butter spread on top is a heavenly treat during the fall season. The warm spices like ginger, cinnamon, and cloves give a unique flavor and aroma to the pumpkin banana bread.
- Moist and tender: Pumpkin and mashed bananas and sour cream add moisture and tenderness to the pumpkin banana bread, resulting in a soft, and tender texture.
- Customizable: Pumpkin banana bread can be customized to suit your preferences. You can add optional add-ins like chocolate chips, nuts, or dried fruits for extra flavor and crunch.
Pumpkin Banana Bread With Sour Cream Ingredients
- Flour: I used white all-purpose flour for this recipe.
- Pumpkin puree: I used homemade pumpkin puree for this recipe. You can use canned real pumpkin puree but do not use pumpkin pie filling because the pie filling already has sugar and spices in it.
- Pumpkin pie spice: The pumpkin pie spice adds warmth and depth of flavor, making each bite a comforting delight.
- Cinnamon: Ground cinnamon adds warmth and depth of flavor to the pumpkin banana bread.
- Banana: The riper the bananas, the better. Overripe bananas are soft in texture which makes them easy to mash and results in a smooth batter.
- Eggs: The eggs give structure to the pumpkin banana bread.
- White and brown sugar: I use a mix of white and brown sugar for this recipe.
- Salt: Salt helps to balance out the flavors.
- Baking powder: Baking powder causes muffins to rise. Using the right amount of baking powder in cakes and muffins is very important.
- Baking soda: Baking soda helps the pumpkin banana bread to rise and become light in texture.
- Butter: Unsalted butter adds fat and flavor.
- Sour cream: Sour cream adds moisture and creaminess to the batter.
- Vanilla extract: Add a drop of vanilla extract for a hint of vanilla flavor.
How to Make Pumpkin Banana Bread With Sour Cream
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray and line with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice.
- In a separate large bowl, beat the softened butter, brown sugar, and white granulated sugar together until creamy.
- Add in the eggs and beat until fully combined. Add pumpkin puree, mashed bananas, sour cream, and vanilla extract and mix again until all the ingredients have been incorporated.
- Using a large spatula, gently fold in dry ingredients just until combined.
- Pour into the prepared pan and smooth out with a spatula. Sprinkle with pumpkin seeds.
- Bake for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool slightly and then turn out onto a cooling rack.
- Use ripe bananas: Look for bananas with brown spots on the peel for the best results.
- Don’t Overmix the Batter: Mix wet and dry ingredients until just combined. Overmixing can result in a loaf of banana bread with a hard and dense texture.
- Don’t Overbake: Overbaking can result in a dry and hard loaf. Bake for 55-65 minutes, the pumpkin banana bread is ready when the toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs.
- Mash the bananas well: Mash the bananas thoroughly with a fork until smooth and without lumps.
How to Store the Leftovers?
After the bread is completely cool, store the pumpkin banana bread slices in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4-5 days.
Can I Bake This Bread in a Muffin Pan?
Yes, you can turn this pumpkin banana bread into pumpkin banana muffins. Preheat the oven to 375°F and line a muffin tray with paper cases. Spoon batter into paper cases and sprinkle them with pumpkin seeds. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Did you like the pumpkin banana bread with sour cream recipe? Try my Walnut Raisin Banana Bread Recipe as well! Leave your comment below and If you make this recipe, be sure to tag your photos #yummynotes
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup real pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 3/4 cup mashed bananas (about 2 medium bananas)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray and line with parchment paper.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice.
In a separate large bowl, beat the softened butter, brown sugar, and white granulated sugar together until creamy.
Add in the eggs and beat until fully combined. Add pumpkin puree, mashed bananas, sour cream, and vanilla extract and mix again until all the ingredients have been incorporated.
Using a large spatula, gently fold in dry ingredients just until combined.
Pour into the prepared pan and smooth out with a spatula. Sprinkle with pumpkin seeds.
Bake for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Allow to cool slightly and then turn out onto a cooling rack.